How to Get Your Child’s Passport in the United States Without the Consent of the Other Parent

woman and three children playing water
Photo by Yulianto Poitier on

Obtaining a passport for a child is typically a straightforward process that involves the consent of both parents. However, there are circumstances where one parent may need to apply for a child’s passport without the consent of the other parent. This article will guide you through the steps to obtain your child’s passport in the United States in such situations, ensuring you comply with legal requirements and safeguard the best interests of the child.

Remember, circumstances will be different from person to person and maybe a breeze for some but more difficult for others!

passport on top of a planner
Photo by Nataliya Vaitkevich on

Verify Eligibility and Legal Requirements

Before applying for your child’s passport without the other parent’s consent, ensure you meet the eligibility requirements. In the United States, the legal requirements may vary depending on the custody arrangements and the parental rights of both parents. Read this form completely for guidance.

Gather Required Documents

Collect all the necessary documents for your child’s passport application. These typically include:

  • Proof of your child’s U.S. citizenship (e.g., birth certificate or naturalization certificate)
  • Evidence of your relationship to the child (e.g., birth certificate listing your name)
  • Your government-issued photo identification (e.g., driver’s license or passport)
  • Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport (available at local passport acceptance facilities or online)

Provide Evidence of Special Circumstances

In situations where the other parent’s consent cannot be obtained due to factors like divorce, separation, or the other parent’s unavailability, you must provide evidence of these special circumstances. This evidence may include:

  • Custody papers or court orders demonstrating that you have sole legal custody
  • A notarized letter from the other parent providing consent for the passport issuance
  • Legal documents indicating that the other parent’s parental rights have been terminated
  • A statement explaining why the other parent’s consent cannot be obtained (e.g., unknown whereabouts or safety concerns)

Fill out Form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) or DS-5525 (Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances)

If you are unable to obtain the other parent’s consent, you will need to complete either Form DS-3053 or Form DS-5525, depending on your specific circumstances. Form DS-3053 is used when one parent cannot appear in person with the child to apply, and the other parent provides written consent. Form DS-5525 is for situations where you cannot obtain the other parent’s consent due to special family circumstances.

Submit the Passport Application

Take the completed application, along with all the required documents, to a local passport acceptance facility or a U.S. Department of State regional agency. These facilities are usually found in post offices, clerks of court, or public libraries. Submit the application and pay the applicable fees. The fees will vary depending on the child’s age, processing time, and whether you are applying for a passport book, card, or both.

Await Processing

After submitting the application, allow time for processing. Routine processing times for a child’s passport in the United States are generally 4 to 6 weeks. If you need the passport more urgently, you can expedite the process for an additional fee. However, according to The Points Guy, applicants can expect 10-13 weeks for regular processing and 7-9 weeks for expediting with an additional 2 weeks for processing and mailing to receive the passport.

Obtaining your child’s passport without the other parent’s consent can be challenging, but it is possible under certain circumstances in the United States. By gathering the required documents, providing evidence of special circumstances, and filling out the appropriate forms, you can navigate the process effectively. Always prioritize the child’s best interests and ensure you comply with all legal requirements throughout the passport application process. If you encounter any difficulties, consider seeking legal advice to ensure you handle the situation appropriately and lawfully.

Leave a Reply